5 Brief Moments With Ice Cubes

I’m roughly 10 or more years older than a lot of the people I write for. In rap years, that makes me an OG, but in Hip Hop years, that makes me somewhat of a historian, a gatekeeper. In other words, one who has survived lived long enough inside the Hip Hop community that they can conjure up & pass along stories & memories that may have otherwise been forgotten. That’s one of the perks of being an “elder” in something; people ask you questions because they assume you’ll have some respectable insight, & you probably do, even if you didn’t remember you did.

For the record, “old” in Hip Hop actually isn’t old at all, it’s just considered “old” in a culture rife with ADHD & a sense of hopelessness. It’s “old” because our heroes shout things like “Live fast, die young!” & when we don’t, it’s somewhat noteworthy. It’s like how back in the days, cats my age would look at me with disdain. Eventually, cats weren’t really looking at all. Now, I get called “sir,” “mister,” & my favorite – OG – on a regular basis. I get it. It’s about respect. Calling me “old” is a backhanded term of endearment like “dog” or “baby daddy.” But, I digress.

Ice Cube was & always will be in my top 5 rappers. That will never change. However, Cube has always changed, from rhyme style to fashion to persona. Perhaps that’s why he’s still one of Hip Hop’s most recognizable & visible faces to this day. Admittedly, I stopped listening to Cube when he started a gang “Westside Connection,” because I thought he’d regressed, & that was something I’d never seen him do before. Even in the paradoxial limbo of his “Predator” stage, it was still progressive move that took him further away from the traditional gangsta rap that the world expected. When he’d later emerge between WC & Mack 10, I knew it was time to let a generation nexter have my seat in his fan club. But, I never let that stop my embedded standom of the Cube I grew up on. The one next to Redman & NaS. The one who convinced me to scowl at everyone, all the time, eventual crow’s feet & forehead wrinkles be damned.

That Cube, (the angst-filled, racist, reality rapper) is a far cry from today’s actor/producer/family man/entrepreneur. While kids laugh at his crazy antics on screen & beer companies hire him to shill brew, I feel it’s my civic duty to keep new Hip Hop heads in touch with the legends, as we remember them. Here are 5 brief moments with the Ice Cube that, if no one told you about, you may not even know exist.

“A Bitch Iz A Bitch”

“I Wanna Kill Sam”

“Wicked”

“Once Upon The Time In The Projects”

“Horny Lil Devil”

10 comments on “5 Brief Moments With Ice Cubes

1. Nagan says:

Cube back in the day was my shit, westside connection was about the same time i stopped listening beyond a coupla you tube vids of his newer shit (couldn’t really feel it) Not against old man rap but … yeah cube kinda lost me.
    Lethal Injection is probably my fave album though maybe just the timing of it for me , left the state care and was living independently when it dropped. Still gets a regular play for me

as an aside i’m the same age as you as within the week if i remember correctly *shakes fist at early march* them damn young uns here give no respect damn em lol

2. Mark Dub says:

I guess this post also marks me as an elder…and when I hear some of these young knuckleheads’ bars, I feel like one. Lethal Injection was also my joint as Cube, very bluntly, high-lighted the racism endemic to this country’s entire socio-political structure. He was raw and real, and spoke directly to our generation. “I wanna kill Sam cuz he ain’t my uncle.” Great shit, Cube.

3. H.L. says:

Amen. I would argue Westside Connection was a progressive move as well, as far as challanging hiphop journalism. A lot of the criticism in “All The Critics In New York” still resonate in rap writers/bloggers today.

Cube is in my Top 5 as well (along with 1.Nas, 2.Redman, 4.Scarface and 5.2Pac) but he had to fight his way back into it. When he dropped ” Laugh Now, Cry Later” that made up for those “Don Mega” days (shutters), just wasnt diggin War and Peace at all.

5. blackfolkinc says:

“I was told, cause I didn’t witness the whole act
    In and out was the movement of the bozack
    It was hot and sweaty and lots of pushin
    Then the nut came gushin
    And it was hell tryin to bail to the ovary
    With nuttin but the Lord lookin over me
    I was white with a tail
    But when I reached the finish line, young black male!”
    -“The Product”

I still ride to Amerikkka Most!!

6. cordrick ramey says:

Great piece. Cube used to be in my top 5. And those songs bring back great memories. You have correctly identified me as an elderstatesman in this thing as well.the reason he is no longer in my top 5 is due to the War and Peace fiasco. And that last album.Dough Boy and OMG. Really? I kinda enjoyed a few cuts on Raw Footage. But old school Cube tops new school Cube any day. 30 in the holding tank catch the vapors, make me a pillow outta toilet paper… Should I continue. Good shit Tony Grands. Catch you on twitter